Museum Hours are: Wed. 2-4 pm and Sat. 2-4 pm
 
About Us  
 

About the Babylon Village Historical Society Museum.

The property on which the musem stands was donated by the children of Henry Livingston (11837-1906), who resided across the street and edited his paper, the Southside Signal, in a building adjacent to it. That building is presently situated in the rear of Attorney Brosnahan's office, at 73 West Main Street (formerly Aunt Julia Carll's home) and is being restored by him.

The museum property was left to the people of Babylon with the stipulation that is would be developed for the community use. A campaign was commenced to start a library and the building was completed to house the library.

When the library moved to South Carll Avenue in 1969, the Historical Society was formed and the musem was developed over twenty years ago.

Babylon was originally known as Huntington South. The farmers from Huntington would come to the South Shore for the salt hay, which grew along our shores. In 1872, Babylon separated from Hunington and the village was incorporated in 1893.

Life in the 1800's is depicted in the rear room, along with farm tools of generation's back. Note the pictures of mills, which were prevalent in the village at that time because of the waterpower; produced by the streams running through the bay. The railroad first came to Deer Park in 1842, and stagecoaches came to the village and down to the dock to meet the ferries to Fire Island and Oak Beaches. By the time the railroad came to Babylon, in the late 1800's we became a booming resort town with hotels and large estates. It was known as the "gilded age", 1870-1890.

The middle room depicts life in the Victorian Era.

The front room dpeicts life in the 20's, 30's and 40's.

During the 30's and 40's railroad people lived here; aircraft corporations provided employment prior to World War II and during the war, and for many years following.

The estates in the area provided employment, as did the waterfront for the calmming and fishing boats, and recreation.

Following World War II, our village bceame a commuter community, as it is today.

 

 

Webpage designed by Laura Baluta
© 2004